Menu
The Glass House
"This house was Philip Johnson's autobiography—all of his interests were visible, and all of his architectural preoccupations, beginning with his connection to Mies van der Rohe, and going on to his decorative classicism phase, which yielded the little pavilion, and his interest in an angular, crisp, more purely sculptural modernism, which brought forth the Sculpture Gallery."
—Paul Goldberger

Including the 1949 Glass House, Philip Cortelyou Johnson designed and constructed 10 structures on his 47-acre New Canaan, Connecticut, estate before his death in 2005. Conscious about the effect it should have on his fame, he donated his estate to the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1986.
Magazines