Roland Rainer, born 1910 in Klagenfurt, studied at the Technical University in Vienna. His dissertation dealt with the design of Vienna´s Karlsplatz. He was appointed to the Technical University of Berlin, the Technical University of Braunschweig, the Technion in Haifa and the Technical University of Munich. In 1953 he became professor for Housing, Urban and Regional Planning at the Technical University of Hanover. In 1954 he was appointed Professor of structural engineering at the Technical University Graz. From 1955 he led the Master School of Architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. From 1956-1962 his largest work, theVienna Stadthalle, was built. Roland Rainer was a tireless critic of architectural eyesores and progressive environmental degradation. He was buried in the family grave at Ober Sankt Veit graveyard.