An icon of 20th century design, the Model B3 or Wassily chair was designed by Marcel Breuer between 1925 and 1926 while he was head of the Bauhaus woodworking shop. The chair was revolutionary in terms of materials: bent tubular steel and canvas. In the spirit of the 'machine age', Breuer was inspired by the steel frame of his bike and used steel tubing to prototype the chair. The later name "Wassily" was given to the model B3 by Italian manufacturer Gavina in 1962. Painter Wassily Kandinsky, who also was part of the the Bauhaus faculty, loved the B3. It was first produced by Honet. Gavina produced the chair from 1962 until 1968. Since 1968, the production rights for the chair are held by Knoll.