Francisco Sobrino (1932 – 2014) was one of the great geometric and kinetic artists of the 20th century. Born in Guadalajara, he studied painting and later sculpture at the School of Arts and Crafts in Madrid. He left for Argentina in 1949 and studied at the National School of Fine Arts in Buenos Aires between 1950 and 1957. There he came into contact with the artists of the group Arte Concreto-Invención and with the promoters of the revue Arturo, and began in 1958 to work in a geometric abstract style. He moved to Paris with Le Parc in 1958. He was the co-founder of the Groupe de Recherche d´Art Visuel with Le Parc, Morellet, Yvaral and others in 1960. In 1960, he started to make reliefs and then three-dimensional constructions in tinted perspex. He had his first one-man exhibition with Le Parc at the Galerie Ad Libitum in Antwerp in 1964. Sobrino created several large pieces for open-air sites, including one 6 metres high in stainless steel for Grenoble (1971). His work has been the subject of solo exhibitions at the Tate Gallery, the Tel Aviv Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Paris and the Museum of Outdoor Sculpture in Madrid.
share Francisco Sobrino: Geometry, Light and Movement