The private house of architect and painter Konstantin Melnikov in Krivoarbatsky Lane in Moscow was completed in 1927-1929 and consists of two intersecting cylindrical towers decorated with a pattern of hexagonal windows. The concept evolved from his schematic draft for the Zuev Workers Club. The towers are a honeycomb lattice made of brickwork. 60 of more than 200 cells were glazed with windows of three different frame designs, the rest filled with clay and scrap. This unorthodox design was a direct consequence of material rationing by the state. The largest room, a 50 square meter workshop on the third floor, is lit with 38 hexagonal windows. The large living room has a single wide window above the main entrance.
Konstantin Stepanovich Melnikov was a Russian architect and painter. Although associated with the Constructivists, Melnikov was an independent artist. In 1930s, Melnikov refused to conform with the rising stalinist architecture, withdrew from practice and worked as a portrait painter and teacher until the end of his life.